Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christ's Mass

I know the cliché of the season is to redirect attention from the gift receiving and focus it on the gift giving and other religious aspects, but bear with me (I have a few thoughts and what is the purpose of a blog if not to share them?).

Last year in my theatre history class, I discovered the origin of the term 'Christmas'. I had always realized that the key root word was Christ, but where the 'mas' part came from had always eluded me. Well, while studying medieval theatre (a time focused around religious works) I learned that Christmas was originally referred to as Christ's Mass in reference to the gathering of people for religious ceremonies, more specifically the nativity recreation, performed during the winter solstice.

Even though the holiday is coming to a close, I always think it's nice to use the final twilight hours to reflect on why these past few days were important in the first place. While the buzz fades and children calm, rather than fixating on the people who have been rude and harassed us this holiday season, remember the person we are suppose to be celebrating today and his sacrifice for us (and the sacrifice of His father). I know I've passed into the realm of corniness already and desperately need to step down from my soap box, but I would like to include the lyrics to one of my favorite Christmas hymns (the third and fourth verses more specifically).

'I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day'

And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on Earth," I said
“For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on Earth, good will to men”

Then pealed the bells more loud and deep
"God is not dead nor doth he sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on Earth, good will to men"

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your ramblings. There can never be too many reminders of what we are really celebrating this time of year and it really doesn't matter what religion you are as all of them have a significant religious holiday around this time and they are all stressing peace and love. By the way, that is one of my favorite Christmas carols also, especially to play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Karma this is the first time I have read this (yeah only like 3 weeks late), very good ideas and very well said.

    ReplyDelete