Saturday, December 5, 2009

How college students make decisions

I tend to go through phases of obsessions. One week I'll be all about politics, the next I'll be all about Xena (all six season are available on Netfix!! How could anyone resist?). My current obsession seems to be for finding the perfect graduate school. Every other night I'll spend hours researching different programs at various institutions, but never seem to make any progress to speak of. Tonight, however, I think I finally hit a milestone.

My friend Kristin and I met through the anthropology program. While both of us are graduating in April with an emphasis in archaeology, neither of us want to continue in that particular field. Kristin hopes to pursue a master's in psychological anthropology while I am interested in biological/physical anthropology. While musing over life post graduation, we decided that it would amazing if we went to the same graduate school, that way we could be roommates.

Reality constantly seems to get in the way, however. The first six or so schools we looked at didn't have the necessary programs to accommodate both of us. But then, the heavens smiled upon us and we found the holy grail of Anthropology schools. UC San Diego. Here is the gist of our subsequent conversation:

Kristin: "San Diego! We'd be by the beach."
Karma: "And it would be warm. You mentioned before how you hate the cold"
Kristin: "And it's only a couple hours away from my family."
Karma: "And isn't Comic-Con held in San Diego?"
*long pause*
Both: "!!!COMIC-CON!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment