Saturday, January 10, 2009

Verbal Vomit

I realized that I am not entirely aware of 'Blog manners' concerning what is and is not appropriate to post, so I apologize if I over step my bounds. I don't want to come across as one of those overly emotional teenagers who publishes their personal lives for the world to read, but this is significant to me (and is therapeutic if nothing else). Anyways, let the verbal vomit begin.

I broke up with my boyfriend on Thursday. Keep in mind, I'm not looking for sympathy (like I said, I "broke up" with him). In fact, we ended on very good terms and agreed to work on becoming better friends. And I can honestly say that I don't regret anything. Yes, the relationship didn't and couldn't lead anywhere and that has been hard for me, but I learned so much about myself and what I want out of a relationship in general these past few months (the last few days especially).

I never understood before why people would say that best friends make the best boyfriends. I always responded with, "but if you don't work out, you've lost a friend." I now see that all those people were right. You really do need that friendship foundation in place first. For example, near the end of the relationship I realized that I wasn't myself around him and wasn't comfortable speaking freely. Not only that, but I didn't like the person I became. It wasn't me. But if you are able to be friends with the person before all of the physical factors and tension come into the picture, I imagine that it would make everything that much easier because you'd already know that you can be yourself and that the potential-significant-other would still accept you. Another reason why forming a friendship first is such a good idea is because I've noticed that when you're so caught up in the moment and the thrill of it all, you don't see the person clearly. You subconsciously try so hard to make everything about the person perfect that you overlook the things about them that don't necessarily compliment your personality.

I always thought of myself as a mature person for my age. But looking back, I realize that my attitude towards relationships was very, very immature. I would see a cute boy and decide I liked him purely based on physical aspects. I always knew that relationships were deeper than that, but as someone who had never really gotten to that point in a relationship, it was hard to relate. I've discovered now that if there isn't any sort of mental, or rather intellectual, connection and if you can't bounce ideas off of each other or ever talk about anything of significance, it really doesn't matter how good-looking the person is. You reach a point where you crave something deeper that no amount of charming smiles can fulfill.

I probably sound extremely naive right now, but I don't mind because I know that I have learned so much. And don't worry, I realize that most of my comments were purely speculative. One day I'll look back and roll my eyes at what I've just written. I just feel the need to write this down because my perspective has been dramatically altered. I guess this post was more for me to vent and get all of my ideas out, so I apologize to all of you who sat through it. I also apologize if I divulged too much personal information.

7 comments:

  1. No Karma, you did not step over bounds/line. This is your blog. I will just say 'sorry' cuz even if you & ex did leave on good terms, it's still hard. The good thing is you realized a lot about yourself and you've grown up a little bit more. You're awesome Karma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karma,

    I was really touched by your post and actually very impressed. I've met quite a few people who never get to this realization until well into their marriage. You say you're naive, but I disagree...you are very mature.

    I really believe that God brings people into our life for a reason and we can learn from every experience in some way. The things you are learning now from relationships (about yourself and others) is vital to finding that person who is perfect for you to spend the rest of your life with.

    So many people get the misconception that your spouse needs to complete you (Jerry McGuire fans UNITE!). But you are discovering something very important - you need to be complete first before you can give yourself to someone else.

    Don't apologize for your blog - it's YOURS. I, for one, enjoy reading it and you never know who you are helping with your honesty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy you posted! Mom had said something about you breaking up and I kept thinking "I need to call her" to offer condolances or verify that you really broke up for you and not someone else, but this post has quelled all my fears.

    I'll admit that Cam and I did have a lot of common interests when we met but I also think I got lucky - I didn't really make freinds with him until after we were married. As a cause I had some serious doubts about marriage the week before we were married, but he has become my best friend since.

    I have to agree with Christine too, you are very mature if only because you are taking this experiance and learning from it rather than just tossing it aside and saying "well it just didn't work out." I love you lots and miss you already *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will admit(in my experience) if you are not friends before a relationship starts or you jump into something, you will find it harder to be friends after it starts, and it will be very akward, at least it was for me after you break up and try the friends thing. Sometimes the akwardness totally thwarts the friendship and it wont work out, but if the friendship is there, the akwardness will not outlast it after you break up. But you live and learn.

    It is fun to read your posts I will admit, mainly because you do speak so freely, take care and we will see you soon...hopefully

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's my little nugget of wisdom or my wooden penny, if you will:

    Physical chemistry is a powerful thing. I had one very hard-earned, very hard-learned lesson in the school of physical attraction with one of my boyfriends. While we didn't have much more in common than a whole lot of fireworks, that (and several hundred miles of distance) was enough to keep me distracted and hold on to the relationship far longer than I should have.

    That relationship inevitably ended up being very damaging, and on the rebound I wound up accepting a proposal from my best (guy) friend at the time. It was something I rushed into because the opportunity presented itself at a time when I was very broken and I thought that was the lesson I was supposed to have learned from my previous relationship. I admired him for many reasons and even thought he was attractive, but there was no chemistry to speak of. I broke it off as quickly as I'd agreed to it and he was devastated. The friendship was forever ruined after that.

    I give you those two chapters from my life because while friendship is definitely the anchor in marriage, there IS something to be said for attraction, chemistry and even butterflies. I think sometimes we write the latter off as something that's beneath us because it's "only our hormones" or whatever, but it is (in my humble opinion) of equal importance to those "loftier" ideals we have an easier time espousing. There's a certain synergy that happens - a balancing, if you will, between the two (friendship and romance) that makes that one God-ordained relationship lightyears better than any other.

    All that to say, I married my best friend, and I also married the only guy who makes my tummy do flip-flops every time I see him. In hindsight, I wouldn't settle for anything less.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wait, you mean I can't get away with just being a pretty face? You think you could delete your post before Tara reads it...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jon!

    Karma, you are amazing and Prince Charming will find his way into your life soon enough!

    ReplyDelete