Monday, January 26, 2009

Xbox to Exile?

I came across this article, which discusses a link between social behavior and video games, today while browsing the internet. I thought it was pretty interesting and that all of my child-raising siblings and friends (as well as those considering having children in the near/distant future) might find it interesting. NOTE: I'm not trying to preach, just thought it made some good points. A few of the remarks are a little "no duh" and could easily be reconciled with the whole "everything in moderation" ideal, but it provides all of you statistic-quoting junkies with additional numbers and percentages if nothing else.

Xbox to Exile? Videogames Linked to Antisocial Behavior

2 comments:

  1. I really like how the article shows both sides and clarifies that it is just a link between the two. Some people commenting on the article said that anti-social kids could be leaning towards video games to fill the void and I agree with him too. I think the type of video game needs to be factored in there too, I mean people do LAN parties and other things, some gaming is very social. There are just too many factors in this, they need to do more specific studies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always interested in articles like this so thank you for posting. I have three kids who love video games and one of the biggest challenges for me is that I love them too. It's hard to say no when I want to play also (on the other hand, this helps me to curb my gaming appetite).

    This also reminds me of the statistics that Jen posted a while back on her blog. They really go hand in hand. At first it was TV, now more-so video games - people use them to babysit their kids. It's a huge challenge to find that balance. I can't imagine not having deep, emotional conversations with my kids on a regular basis, but I do know that some people never find that level with their children...and gaming, TV, etc. is a big proponent to that.

    Kassie made some very valid points. I like to see both sides - the bottom line is that many families are broken. It creates a lot of trauma and unfortunately, the kids take the brunt of it so they turn to other things to find something to fill that void.

    Anyway, thank you for posting this! :)

    ReplyDelete